Monday, April 11, 2011

Unbidden


In slow, yellow light
before toddlers creep,
magnolia blossoms look in at me
dead on
through broken slats in mini-blind.
Today they burst.
First spring for us in this aged home
botanic flesh thrusts open.

Thick petals pushed forward to be squeezed
and bruised,
edges turning brown at the mercy of little hands.
but on the tree plump,
soft pink,
  delicate white.

Jumping for the branches and landing with fists full,
we galloped and shoved our way to lunch.
Lenten rice bowls and solemn purple Fridays
gave way to light and warmth.
Tote bags for long "a" and hard "g."
Handwriting practice.
Bowl haircut smacked forehead,
as I ran the bases in kickball.
Blue, double-knit choir robes,
and "It Only Takes a Spark" to acoustic guitar.
"I believe in Mary Worth" screamed into bathroom mirrors
on a dare.

Parochial girls melded.
Unbidden.
Grabbing, grappling, claiming.
Watching, pushing, pulling.
Finally releasing,
breathing.
Endocrine calmed and heads certain.
Mellowed.
Aged.

Our magnolias bloomed today.
My sisters are here.
In my eyes, and my nose.
In the air.
My neighbor's tree.
Juicy crisp, velvet soft petals
will fall to cider smell.
But this breath is first.
Awake.


First written and mailed to a friend spring 2005 without time for editing. 
This is the revised form, surely in need of further work, still.







1 comment:

  1. Dear Sherry,
    I have been quietly enjoying your blog. You are an amazing writer and it fills me with deep gratitude and joy to witness your love for your family. It is wonderful to see Jameson and Beatha and their growth under your loving care. Please give my love to them and know that you have been and will be in my prayers. I miss the kids, we were priviledged to be part of their journey. We will continue to pray for Haiti and give support however we can.
    Happy Easter!
    Sister Linda

    ReplyDelete

Civil dialogue with signed comments welcome!