Thursday, April 21, 2011

Big Memory, Sweet Heart

"All the other kids my other mom (in Haiti) make are all grown up.

Beatha (Anna) and I are the only ones little. 

I am the littlest."

I've heard Jameson use the word "make" or "made" before in reference to having children, when he said that one of his brothers is big and he "made a girl" (had a daughter).  I thought it was interesting terminology, as it is at once a matter of a young English language learner still adding to his vocabulary and having yet to refine his word selections and also a fairly Haitian style of thinking and communicating (as far as my limited studies and experience leads me to believe) -- a more honest take on birth, death, and the life that comes in between.  Human babies come from adult humans.  And it is messy and painful. 

It was unusually beautiful to hear his direct commentary on this most primary of relationships -- a child and the woman whose womb and blood gave to him life.

And it reminded me that, yes, I have in my care the littlest of her babies.  A precious lad with sweet eyes and a disarming smile. 

I will do my best for him, Mama Bonithe. 

My best for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil dialogue with signed comments welcome!