Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Japan Culture Day

Decatur Sister Cities Committee hosted this event, as you've likely already guessed, to raise funds for the tsunami relief efforts in Japan.  We stayed for four hours, arriving just in time to watch the first Ikebana (flower arranging) demonstration -- five completely different and gorgeous floral designs (but no luck at winning the raffle to take one home).  The Ikebana expert was great fun, however, and watching her work was indeed relaxing. "You know, today will never happen again. Today is the only day we'll be here, like this." Hm. Stop and breathe. Thank you flower lady! I needed that.



The sushi and curry rice were both delicious -- courtesy of Fuji Restaurant (going to have to make a visit there for dinner sometime soon)!

Kimono fitting, Kanje name-writing (on bookmarks), origami (simpler ones to do and more complex designs to purchase), Kanje face-painting (or hand-painting)  .  .  .


"Japan"

"Friendship"


"Jesus"

Anna and I also perched upon the tatami mat (shoeless) to enjoy a traditional Japanese tea ceremony (as Baylor looked on; she declined my multiple nudges to give it a try).  It was a frothy green tea for which the leaves are powdered and then whisked into the hot water.  I wish I had pictures of it all!  The small sweet (in my case, a chocolate cream sandwhich cookie/cake) is eaten first, and then the unsweetened tea follows.  I even gave a meager attempt to use an item learned from my friend, Haruko, when she visited my Geography classes -- "Aligato" (sp?), which is Japanese for "Thank you."  I'm a sucker for trying new cultural things, and I'm not too proud to risk messing up.  Putting on airs is a game I'm guaranteed to lose, and it's not much fun anyway.  I'd rather be the wide-eyed student.  My kids generally seem to enjoy it, as well.





2 comments:

  1. Loved your post! We were hoping to go, but then that day got busy and we forgot... and Justin wasn't feeling too well. Looks like you had a great time! I wish we had gone. Kanji (but pronounced with the long e sound at the end) is the writing. Arigato (you were close) is Thank you, tho the r does sound a lot like an l. If we ever go back to Japan you will have to come visit! (comments not given to correct, just to teach, I love their culture) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willie the Shake wrote, "Our doubts are traitors, / And make us lose the good we oft might win, / By fearing to attempt." So, keep on being the student who asks the questions.

    Is Baylor is missing an obi on her kimono?

    ReplyDelete

Civil dialogue with signed comments welcome!