Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Nurture me when I'm down;

but when I become complacent, stir in me discomfort. 

So, my sister got me hooked on a daily email subscription from a website/education program created by Father Richard Rohr, and I have to say it's been a fresh, calming way to start a day humbly.  To be honest, I like that it's edgy -- pushes daily human issues to stir us up, make us think, make us reconsider our present comfort zones  .  .  .  Today's was particularly pointed  .  .  .   (excerpted for brevity)  .  .  .

 

 

"The second temptation of Jesus is another one that all of us must face. Satan takes Jesus up to the pinnacle of the Temple, symbolizing the top of the religious world itself, and tells him to play “righteousness games” with God. “Throw yourself off and He’ll catch you” (Matthew 4:6). It’s the only time in the Bible where the devil quotes Scripture. Holy words can be used for evil purposes, it surely says. This second temptation is to think of yourself as saved, superior to others, the moral elite on the side of God and religion, and to quote arguable Scriptures for your own purpose—being against God in the name of God. Actually it is quite common  .  .  . be careful before you stand on the pinnacle of any Temple, Scripture, or Sacrament. It is the common temptation of actually loving ourselves under the guise of loving God."
Adapted from Radical Grace: Daily Meditations, p. 295, day 309

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil dialogue with signed comments welcome!