Friday, March 30, 2012

The Fry of the Fish

1970's-ish church hall.  Metal folding chairs.  Average age of the crowd -- roughly 65.  Chad was shaking up the fish fillets in the flour and seasoning with the Catholic cooking crew in the church garage full o' oil fryers while I spooned slaw onto foam plates for diners coming through the line.  It was some good, quaint Friday evening community time, and one customer made my year  .  .  .

An older gentleman with what I'm sure is excellent eyesight must have noticed my "Illinois State" T-shirt when he asked if I was a student.  I giggled at the flattery and told him "No, but THANK you!"  After a short pause, as he continued to await the potatoes to be put onto his plate, I felt obligated to add, "Actually, I'm a teacher (chuckle, chuckle); so, I'm taking that as a BIG compliment!" 

To assure himself of his general judgment on the matter, he followed up with a gentle, kind inquiry, "How many years you been teaching?"  At this moment I paused, fearing my answer might embarrass him, and after hedging, I finally answered truthfully, "About 15."  The stunned look on his face was sweet, and wonderful, and I felt badly and made sure we reconnected in laughing together and assured him that he was allowed to make that "mistake" any old time he wanted.  I'm sure he has crystal clear, 20-20 vision; certain of it.

Tee hee heeee.  (Heck, Wal-mart stopped carding me over a year ago.  I no longer even look "Under 35" to their cashiers.  I'll take any moment of personal delusions that I can get!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil dialogue with signed comments welcome!