Monday, March 14, 2011

Staying Close, Offering Connection, Finding My Footing, & Scrapping a New Kind of Book

In the stressful lull during which we worked and waited for the kids' release to our family, I created this blog.  My purpose was simply to have in place a way for grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins and friends to feel close to us and to the kids, even when we might need calm, quiet, private time at home for just the six of us.  I'd so enjoyed the blogs of a few fellow "BRESMA families," and their pictures and descriptions made me feel such a part of their lives.  I believed a blog of my own might fill graciously what otherwise could have been a void for our loved ones. 

And then, I realized that some of the kids' cousins and mates from BRESMA who came to the US with them and had already gone home to families, as well as Anna and Jameson's Pittsburgh teachers, classmates, and HFI staff and volunteers have checked in here to keep up with the kiddos, too.

Pleasantly surprised by the connections we've created and maintained here, I'll keep it going.

So much reading and training, so many webinars and conference calls  .  .  .  and I relished the occasional moments when an adoptive parent did the rare, brave thing -- let their hair down to reveal their struggles.  In their offering of humility and vulnerability, and I felt "let in."  I felt connected.  I needed that.  We all do.  That connection of humanity.  Validation.  Feeling not alone.  And so, I decided that I would be honest in my blog posts.  Sparing, of course, other people's dirty laundry, but telling my part of my story truthfully -- to put myself out there in case it helps anyone.  Even a little.  I believe that it is in the nuance of our struggles where lies beauty.  And triumph.  Meaningful growth.

To be submerged in "the adoption process" 24/7, parenting new children and "old" children side-by-side while continuing to navigate legal procedures for finalizing and eventual citizenship is a whirlwind.  One of several things I do to keep a foot on the ground is writing.  Documenting our "current status" on this site keeps the forest in view for me as I continue tending to the individual seedlings. 

An unexpected gift that I realized just last week is that I have unwittingly created a new kind of scrapbook -- one with some images and a whole lot of journaled text that I will print off and get bound for the children.

To all of you, my small band of lovely readers (hi, Mom!) much gratitude for humoring me along our journey.  It's good to have travel mates  .  .  . 

Please, use the comments tab liberally -- share your 2 cents -- I get tired of just my own blabbering.  Reading your musings would be lovely.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sherry!
    Just wanted to send my well wishes and share again that I read your blog quite often. Please give Anna and Jameson a hug for me and tell them that I miss them tremendously. :) I love reading about your fabulous family and I am truly thankful you are willing to share your adventures on this blog.
    Please take care and God bless! -Ms. Megan (HFI) :)

    ReplyDelete

Civil dialogue with signed comments welcome!