Thursday, February 24, 2011

Four Days And Counting

No, not my study --
(I could only dream such) --
it's Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.
Okay, so, it's late Wednesday night, and that means only two days left of kids-at-school-getting-used-to-things before Mom-is-back-at-school-and-crazy-busy-too.  I think we're ready, though.  No, I'm never a fan of eating breakfast in the car, waiting to eat, again, until a bell tells me I can, or feeling low on patience in the evenings because I'd already dealt with far too many kids not listening to me .  .  .  but generally speaking, my teaching job is a great gig, and I miss it. 

The tag on today's tea bag quoted a "Wise Saying from the Orient" -- "The tribute to learning is teaching."  Hmm.  Is this first cousin to reading tea leaves?  Time to do more teaching?  (But, hey, I thought it was no longer correct to refer to "the East" or Asia as "the Orient?"  There I go, again, doing that thinking thing.  Definitely time to start torturing students with my musings!) 

I'm also starting to notice that I'm gettin' my "summer" der-my-brain-is-mushy-an'-I-dunno-how-ta-talk-ta-nobody thing goin' on.  When grocery speed-shopping at Wal-mart earlier this week, I ran into (figuratively, thankfully) a neighbor, one of my student's parents, and one of the great fellows who mentored me years ago during my student-teaching days.  I was all like deer in the Wal-mart lights, fumbly over small talk, stupid-brained.  It's typically a hot-weather, seasonal disease, prominent in the teacher population.  Okay, so, two teachers I know get this oatmeal-brain syndrome in the off-season -- my sister and I. 

Then, today, whammo -- I've got my groove back.  After I dropped the kids off for their whole sitter-to-bus-to-school thing, I allowed some time for a Starbucks run (decaf, mind you) and had time (a blessed thing) to listen to some world news.  You know, actually listen to some depth beyond the headlines and occasional article in which I'd indulged via Yahoo.  Sorry, MFHS kids, but Mama Cluver's already got the first-day-I'm-back work conceptualized, typed, and printed.  Booya, baby!  And, yes, I've got my wits about me enough to remember those peoples in the student desks won't be all "Golly gee, we can't wait to think and write."  Too bad, youngin's -- ready or not  .  .  .

And our four kiddos at home are making progress with school routine and home routine and growing closer to us and with each other.  In fact, the boys got into some trouble together last night, when 2 hours (TWO HOURS!!) after bedtime (they are usually asleep -- for good -- within minutes), Chad found them wide awake playing dsi.  So, Dad acted all serious about it, and then came downstairs and we chuckled.  For consolation Jameson wanted to slumber party in Hunter's bed, and the older brother agreed -- for the first night.  Tonight, however, Hunt thought some stretching room was in order; so, li'l bro' settled for his own, top bunk once again.  They are just too funny together -- already have their own relationship completely separate from us, parents -- just like what Hunter and Baylor have had for years.

The girls are talking WITH each other and joking and listening far, far more than even just a week ago.  They seem to be building some empathy and warmth, finally!  I know, it's been less than 2 months  .  .  .  In the big scheme, they're really doing very, very well.  For there to be noticeable progress for all four kids as sibs and for the two newbies academically and in adjusting to familial norms in such a short amount of time is a blessing! 

Dear Anna continues to be quite nervous and shy at school, but that's nothing that time won't help.  (She's got an amazing teacher and wonderful classmates!)  And, yes, the dress-wearing every Sunday (and some days in between) continues.

Hunter's request for "Haitian Spaghetti Day" went over smashingly in the kids' classrooms today.  We listened to konpa music, viewed some Haitian images via SMART board, and read together a fact sheet I'd created.  More kids than not enjoyed the food sample, and my four seem to have enjoyed the visit from Mom.  (Out of respect for children's privacy, I did not take photos of the other kids in the room, and the 5th grade time slot went so quickly I forgot to get a pic of Anna and Hunter.)  And at bedtime prayers Anna included, "Thank you, Jesus, for Haitian spaghetti"; her bedtime ritual is part prayer and part messages to Mom who sits bedside.  Despite her utter shyness over my visit, it turns out she felt validated by seeing her new 5th grade friends enjoy one of her favorite foods and show genuine interest in her native land.


Good days, good days, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil dialogue with signed comments welcome!