Friday, April 6, 2012

How True!

HOLY WEEK

Thursday, April 5, 2012
Holy Thursday

"  .  .  .  (in) the Last Supper in the Gospel of John  .  .  .  we come upon the story of Jesus on his knees washing the Apostles' feet  .  .  .  Peter symbolizes all of us as he protests, "You will never wash my feet!" (John 13:8). But Jesus answers, "If I do not wash you, you can have nothing in common with me." That is strong! We all find it hard to receive undeserved love from another. For some reason it is very humiliating to the ego. We all want to think we have earned any love that we get by our worthiness or attractiveness. So Jesus has to insist on being the servant lover. Thank God, Peter surrenders, but it probably takes him the rest of his life to understand."

--Father Richard Rohr

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this paragraph too! I forwarded to some friends!! We must be sisters or something:)

    ReplyDelete

Civil dialogue with signed comments welcome!