Friday, August 27, 2010

City Wedding Indian Style

The Drake Hotel, Chicago.
Best friends. 
Culture.  Food.  Music. 
Stress relief.
Need I say more?

The happy couple -- Bipin and Parvathy. 
(I've known Parv for 29 years -- since I met her older sister, Archana, in 3rd grade.)


I was honored to be part of their wedding procession.

The ceremony.

Cocktail hour.


Archana & Suhas' restless Kiran.

 
Kiran's sleepy li'l sis', Kalyani.

The reception.

 
Four best friends. 
I met Andrea (black dress) when we were 3 or 4; Arch (black sari) in 3rd grade;
and Kara (green outfit)in 6th grade.

Nineteen years after our high school graduation we appreciate each other even more  .  .  .  and sure enjoyed watching "our" little sister celebrate her wedding day.   Stepping out of my middle class digs for an indulgent weekend was nice, relishing Indian culture was perfectly wonderful, and good ol' fashioned friend therapy -- marvelous.  

After returning my borrowed sari, Chad and I drove downstate to home  .  .  .  generic milk, dog-hair covered floors, lessons to plan  .  .  .  kids to get home  .  .  .






  

1 comment:

Civil dialogue with signed comments welcome!